Monday, June 27, 2005

Word of the Day for Monday June 27, 2005

callow \KAL-oh\, adjective:
Immature; lacking adult perception, experience, or judgment.

Those who in later years did me harm I describe as I knew
them then, and I beg any reader to remember that, although
I was hardly callow, I was not yet wise in the ways of the
world.
--Iain Pears, [1]An Instance of the Fingerpost

George Black Jr was grateful that during his protracted
courtship of Betty, his future father-in-law 'bore my
callow unsophistication with benign indulgence'.
--Richard Siklos, [2]Shades of Black

They watched in awe as Revere, at first a callow and
unambitious youth, began to develop into a serious young
man dedicated to books and devoted to his father.
--Sherwin B. Nuland, "The Saint," [3]New Republic, December
13, 1999


Callow is from Old English calu, "featherless, bald."

No comments: